In no particular order, here are my top five—and actually only five green cleaning must-haves (excepting laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, and dishwasher detergent, of course. Oh, and a broom and vacuum cleaner).
- Steam cleaner—clean floors, grout, even windows without chemicals.
The Wagner power steam cleaner
- Borax: An eco-friendly, budget-friendly wonder product—Joy turned me onto Borax, which I use to scour the bathtub and clean the toilet.
- Baking soda and vinegar—read Joy’s “Thrifty solutions for greener cleaning” for details—I don’t know what I’d do without this cleaning combo. I clean mirrors and windows with vinegar and newspaper and use baking soda and vinegar to clean the kitchen sink.
- Rags—Any green housekeeper worth her salt uses good old rags instead of paper towels! (Note: worn-out prefold diapers make the very best rags!)
- Bon Ami—Bon Ami is natural and non-toxic, made from sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate and feldspar. It’s super cheap, and a great alternative to Ajax or Comet, which contain chlorine and other chemicals. I may even prefer it to Borax for scouring the tub.
Am I missing any green wonder product I should know about? Let us know!