Recipe: Melt-in-Your-Mouth Puffs

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Puffs

Melt-in-Your-Mouth Puffs

A couple of weeks ago I posted a Baby Puff recipe that was pretty filling. It also required a bit of chewing (with gums at least, teeth not required).  In fact, they were really more snacks than they were your traditional puff.

Sometimes you want a snack that isn’t going to ruin your baby’s dinner. Or maybe you want a puff that melts in your mouth like the store-bought puffs. Here’s a recipe that will dissolve in your mouth and not fill you up:

Melty Puffs (adapted from Mommy-Opinion)

• 2 C multi-grain baby cereal
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbs coconut oil
  • 1/2 C apple sauce
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Optional additions: 1 tbs Berry Superfood Powder, 1 tbs cocoa powder, or 2 tbs nutella or cookie butter

Mix all ingredients together to form a dough.  One handful at a time, roll dough into long, pencil sized ropes and cut into bite-sized pieces.

Bake at 325F until they begin to brown.  They will be soft, not dried out.

Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for longer.

*Try not to eat all of these yourself and save some for baby!

Comments

1. I am making these and the dough really wants to fall apart so it’s difficult. Do you know what could be wrong? I put a little bit more coconut oil in it but it didn’t help.

2. Ps. The dough is brown to start with, so it’s really difficult to know when they are done cooking. Any suggestions?

3. Kelly, try adding a little extra applesauce to keep the dough from falling apart. I used large eggs, so if yours are medium, the amount of yolk might not be enough.

Although the dough is pretty brown, I was able to detect a small amount of browning, especially in the bits around the edges of the pan. Next time, break one apart (being careful not to burn your fingers) and see if it looks cooked all the way through. I always err on the side of overcooked, since Franci likes to suck on them until soggy any way.

I didn’t post a cooking time because it really depends on the size of the pieces. If they are the size of a pencil eraser, 8-10 minute should be good. If they are the size of a jelly bean, I’d give them 15-18 minutes.

4. I just made these now and they turned out really good! I didn’t do any of the add in’s because I wanted to see how they would turn out first. I used the playdough confetti maker to make the puff shapes, so that made it a bit easier. If my son likes these, then I will for sure be making these again!

5. Can I use anything other than baby cereal? To keep them a little more whole food? Maybe bran or something like that?

6. Lisa, I have only tried baby cereal. I chose multi-grain, so they were a little healthier, but I think the fine grain fluffiness of the baby cereal is what makes them melt-in-your-mouth. If you want to try a healthier puff, I suggest this Puff recipe.

7. Stephanie says:

I tried, I did not conquer. I don’t know if I did something wrong, but nothing about these were “melty.” All my baby did was gag and throw up. I tried them and I definitely had to chew them before I swallowed.

8. Michele says:

Stephanie, I’m sorry to hear that your baby had such a bad reaction! One of mine had an egg allergy for the first 16 months, so that is something to consider. Or maybe your baby just doesn’t like them!

If they overcooked, the puffs might not melt in your mouth as easily. Otherwise I found that a little saliva broke them down pretty quickly.

9. I used 1flax egg (1tablespoon ground flaxseed +3 tablespoons water) instead of egg, because my older daughter has an egg allergy so I was nervous about introducing egg to my less than 1 year old. It worked great!

10. Stacey, Thanks for the tip! I’m glad to know it works as an egg free recipe as well.

11. Michelle says:

I’m not a big cook so I’m not sure it would work…but have you tried freezing the dough to make at a later date? I was trying to get out of making them every three days, or at least the dough part. Thanks so much!!

12. Michelle, I have not tried freezing the dough, but I’m sure it would work (based on my years of baking experience). You could probably freeze the dough wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and that it out before baking. Or make the bite-sized pieces and freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake from their frozen state. You might have to add a minute or two of baking time in that instance.

Let us know how it works out!

13. I made these with banana instead of apple sauce, and they definitely do not melt in my mouth. They are tasty, but not melty. I don’t think I could give these to my baby yet. Is the apple sauce integral to the meltiness? Did I mess it up by using banana?

14. Tianna, since banana is a little thicker than applesauce, you might need to add a little water to the dough or adjust the cooking time to be a little less.

If I overcook cookies or puffs, making them too hard, I will put them in a container and cover it with a wet towel for as many hours as it takes to moisten them up (sometimes overnight). It’s the same idea as putting a slice of bread in with your brown sugar if it has hardened.

You could also try soaking the individual puffs in a little liquid (i.e., breast milk, water, or juice) before giving them to your baby if you think they are too hard.

15. Elizabeth says:

approximately how long do you cook them? I take mine out of the oven and they are still soft and squishy are they supposed to be? I don’t want to over cook them. I just don’t know if they are supposed to be doughy yet.

16. Michele says:

Elizabeth, it depends on the size of the puffs, so anywhere from 8-15 minutes. You can kind of see them begin to brown, especially the pieces at the outer edges of the baking sheet. If you really want them to “melt in your mouth”, they need to be a little soft and squishy.

If your kid is ready to crunch on something, cook them longer, being sure to stir them often to ensure even cooking.

17. Do you think you could use coconut flour instead of cereal? I know coconut flour requires many eggs, so do you know how to adjust the rest of the recipe? I don’t give my baby cereal or regular flour. Thanks.

18. Should have added that I saw the other recipe with coconut flour and chia, but I haven’t introduced chia yet, so I was curious if you could use coconut flour and adjust this recipe since he’s had the rest of the ingredients.

19. Carrie, I haven’t tried this one with coconut flour, but please let us know if you do! If the dough feels too stiff, you might need to add a little extra applesauce or, as you suggested, another egg yolk.

20. I have an 11 month old (8 adjusted) and 13 month old. Little miss has two teeth and big man has 9! I gave him the crunchy outside prices and her the squishy ones in the middle. They didn’t exactly melt but were able to be easily gummed so she didn’t choke. She has some feeding concerns so I was concerned but they were manageable and loved by all.

21. Alyssa, I’m so glad the puffs were a hit at your house! It’s true that they don’t “melt” like store-bought extruded puffs, but they dissolve quickly compared to the other puff recipes we’ve tried and don’t require teeth.

My 10.5 month old is still toothless, so I should probably bake her up a batch of these!

22. Is there another alternative to the coconut oil? Was wanting to make these for my little one since we just ran out of gerber puffs and paydays not here yet so cant buy any cocnut oil :/

23. Sarah, we use coconut oil for the nutritional benefits, but any other oil will work just fine.

24. I make oat cereal by throwing rolled oats in the food processor. Do you think that would work here?

25. Sasha, the water to multigrain baby cereal ratio is 1-to-1, so as long as your oats are the same it should work fine. Otherwise you might have to adjust the amount of liquid added.

26. Hi,
    Can you use a whole egg instead of just the yolk? I’m going to try making these tonight and wanted to know if there was a specific reason for yolk only. Thanks for the recipe!

27. Heather, I have not tried it with a whole egg, because you’re not supposed to feed egg whites to babies under 1 year of age. Also, my older daughter is sensitive to egg whites so I just avoid them when possible.

If you try it with a whole egg, we would love to hear how it turns out!

28. Michele- Thank you for the recipe! Printed your page and put in our family recipe book.

29. I made these tonight and they were not in any way melt in your mouth. I am wondering if I did something wrong? The only thing I changed was instead of Apple sauce I used an organic baby food pouch that my daughter was never going to eat. I didn’t over cook them. They are still very soft but I definitely have to chew them, so I will not even attempt to give them to my daughter.

30. Michele! Is this ok to substitute apple sauce with beets?

31. Rebecca, you might want to try cooking them a little longer next time. They need to be dry enough to dissolve with a little saliva.

32. El, I haven’t tried substituting beet puree, but that sounds like a great idea! My daughter loves beets and they are sweet enough to replace the apple sauce. If the puree isn’t the consistency of apply sauce, add a little water until it is.

33. These have been a staple snack for my son for months! I’ve added a variety of veggie purees for variation. Could I have your permission to share a modified version of your recipe on my upcoming blog? I would certainly include a link to your original recipe. No worries if you’d rather I not post. 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing!

34. Michele says:

Yes! You are more than welcome to share it, and I appreciate you asking and linking to my original recipe!

35. Hi Michelle! When you say can be stored in the fridge longer? How much longer?

36. Would it be okay to give these to my 8 month baby that doesn’t have any teeth yet?

37. Lexys, since I don’t know your baby I don’t want to give you a definitive answer. But I will say that my daughter didn’t have teeth at that age, and she was able to gum these puffs and swallow them easily. They break down with a bit of saliva, but if you’re not sure after making up a batch try one yourself and see what it’s like when you don’t use your teeth. 🙂

38. Hannah, I store them for over a month and they were fine.