After experiencing a few weeks of relief from pregnancy symptoms, I’ve started up a whole new round. Since I try to avoid all medication while pregnant (foregoing even “safe” medications like Tylenol and Claritin), I’ve been trying out a few natural remedies for what ails me. Always consult your doctor before starting any natural remedies, just to be sure they are safe for your pregnancy.
- I wrote about consuming ginger to help with morning sickness and nausea. It turns out that ginger is also good for gas and joint pain (my current complaint) caused by relaxin.
- Another natural remedy for joint pain is turmeric. You can brew it into tea, add it to smoothies or coconut water, or take it in capsule form.
- To help keep my energy up, I’ve been consuming plenty of iron-rich foods. I try to eat red meat regularly and eat beans and eggs on days in between. For lunch, or an afternoon snack, I’ll have a spinach salad or spanikopita (spinach pie).
- Magnesium has been shown to reduce the symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome, which has been a problem in both of my pregnancies. The recommendation for pregnant women is to consume 350mg daily. Luckily, it is also found in spinach and beans. But when I’m having a bad RLS day, a supplement is a good choice. Better yet, Natural Calm is fast acting in case the RLS is keeping me up at night.
- One last natural remedy I keep on hand is Chlorophyll. It provides more oxygen to the cells, which can help alleviate dizziness and boosts energy. As an added bonus, it is an internal deodorizer. Try the breath freshening liquid or the gel caps.
What are your favorite natural remedies for pregnancy symptoms?